Re: boot problems

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 04:39:11PM -0500, Donald D. Daniel wrote:

> My /etc/aboot.conf is as follows:
>
> 0:1/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda1
> 1:1/xl ro root=/dev/hda1
>
> In /boot and /boot2 I have identical files including
> vmlinuz-2.2.22.
>
> At / I have vmlinuz and xl, symbolic links to the two
> identical copies of the kernel.

*The md5sums of both kernels are identical (just to make sure)?

> If I "boot dqa0 -fl i" to get into aboot,
> I can type "0" and one copy of the kernel will boot.
> If I type "1", the other copy does not boot, instead I
> get:
>
> read error, lbn 70532881: 0x8000000000000000
> ext2_iget: read error
> xl: file not found
> aboot>

*What version of aboot do you use? I remember that early version had
some limitations of how far into the file system an image can lie, so
maybe the second kernel lies too far in the drive, so this would
explain the read error. If you symlink xl to the *same* file as
vmlinuz, does it work?

Greetings

            Helge

--