Firmware upgrade SX (alphabios -> srm) fails

Hi,

I'm trying to convert my SX164 from alphabios (5.62-1) to srm (5.8) using the
files and method described here:

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware/readmes/archive/alphapc164sx.html#method_AlphaBIOS

When I select "update alphabios" from my menu , a dialog box appears
indicating it is looking for the fwupdate.exe on floppy, cd or network.
After it finds it, it starts loading, but at that point the AlphaBios is
frozen, and nothing happens. The floppy stops reading a bit later, still
nothing. If I reboot after a while , I get my Alphabios back.

Could any of you kind souls out there enlighten me as to what I am doing
wrong?
BTW, I did try reformatting the floppy, and read back the file, but I found no
problems there........

Regards,
Jaap Hogenberg