Re: simple firewall for masquerade

Joakim Roubert wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
apt-get install ipmasq
What does your /etc/ipmasq/rules/*.rul|def-files look like?
According to dpkg -L there should be some files installed in
/etc/ipmasq/rules, but I get none. In /usr/share/doc/ipmasq/examples I
find some stuff though, but trying them out I don't get it working.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been running successfully on PPC and ARM, potato and woody... are you using sid?

Except for the files copied from the exampels in "stronger" I made a file
A01interfaces.rul as said in the documentation:

octavia:/etc/ipmasq/rules# cat A01interfaces.rul
# Defines some basic stuff for the IP masquerade.

EXTERNAL="eth0 eth0:0"
INTERNAL="eth1 eth1:0"

(I hope this is not a totally FUBAR misunderstanding by me)

Is the normal /etc/ipmasq/rules/A01interfaces.def not working for you? That is, does it not auto-detect the EXTERNAL and INTERNAL interfaces correctly?

Trying the examples amongst the ordinary ones I get this:

/usr/sbin/ipmasq: ipnm_cache: command not found

In what package can I get ipnm_cache?

"grep cache /usr/sbin/ipmasq" gives nothing, so I don't see where it's calling that.

"zgrep ipnm debian/dists/woody/Contents-i386.gz" gives nothing (nor alpha), so no woody package has such a file, even on i386 -- it's not an alpha-specific issue.

Which version of ipmasq are you using? Woody has 3.5.10, can't help you with anything higher. (And I don't really know much about the version in woody -- except that it works for me.)

That's what I know,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>