EB164 SRM Problems

I've just got hold of a 4 port Adaptec NIC, which I'ld like to place in my
EB164 alpha, since I'm aa little short on expansion slots. Only after
inserting this card, the system doens't boot up. Just in a hunch I switched
to the ARC firmware (I just love those large roms), and what the heck, it
booted up just fine... And so now I'm able to run my alpha just fine _with_
the 4port NIC, and even some old ISA video card works (didn't boot on SRM
either, having another PCI slot freed suits me just _fine_). But still I
think/assume SRM is the better choice to boot linux when left the option. So
I was wondering if there's a way to fix this behaviour. I guess SRM fails on
the init of the PCI Bridge chip used on the NIC (DECchip 21154 rev02),
whilst it doesn't have any problems with the one (DECchip 21050 rev02) on my
SCSI adapter.
The only real difference I could see was upon booting, SRM says it uses BOIS
Emulation V1.5, whereas ARC states Emulation V2.02... But I haven't got a
clue if these to are interchangable between both Firmware, let alone on how
to accomplish such a task.

Anyone has any ideas on how to get this baby to work with SRM, or any
arguments on why not to bother and just keep using ARC (which parts of
ARC/milo make it less favorable as opposed to SRM?)

Many thanks in advance!

Sebastiaan.