rebuild system from source questions

Hi

I found some articles in the debianplanet.org archives about rebuilding
your entire system from source. And people's opinions about the
usefulness of this seem to differ greatly. But still, I'd like to try.

I found some home-grown scripts in these articles, but one or two links
are dead and one ('cast') is i386-only.
I also found apt-build. From it's manpage it should be very usable, but
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this.

Also, if it's too much trouble to rebuild the entire system, what would
be good things to rebuild (optimize for cpu like -mcpu=ev56, anything
else?). Does order of rebuilding matter? For example, should I start
with kernel, glibc, zlib, and other stuff that gets used a lot and work
my way up to xfree, windowmaker, mozilla, mplayer and the like?

And, if I set my CFLAGS= -mcpu=ev56 -O2 in my environment, would these
be picked up by the Debian building process (with apt-build or apt-get
source packagename)??? If not, is there a way to make this happen?

Last question:
I use gcc-3.2.1-pre-something from 'Sarge' to build a kernel
(2.4.21-pre2). It looks OK so far... Can anyone tell me if it is
considered stable (enough) by now, or should I stick with 2.95.4 for
rebuilding the entire system?

Thanx for any suggestions.

Dannis.