Re: dead box??

On Saturday 14 December 2002 02:55 pm, Richard Fillion wrote:
> My computer crashed out of the blue last night, it was the
> first time ever that it crashed where i didnt know what caused
> the crash.  When i rebooted it, "the smell" engulfed the room.
>  You know, that horrid "burning circuits" smell.  So i put it
> off, and opened the box.  I looked all over for what had
> fried, took all the pci cards out, nothing smelt burnt.  So i
> put it all back in, and put it back on, hoping that whatever
> broke would break some more so that i'd see what went wrong.
> But instead all went fine, and it booted into debian.  So i
> shut it off, closed up the case, and put it back on.  No more
> problems.
>
> I wake up this morning, move the mouse to wake up the box,
> nothing.  Hit the keyboard, nothing, try pinging from
> roommate's computer, nothing. So i power it off, and power it
> on, all sounds well, but monitor doesnt turn on.  So i open up
> the case, and look around.  I touch the heatsink, its cold.
> It shouldnt be burning hot, but it shoiuldnt be COLD. Nothing
> smells burnt, it sounds right, the harddrives spin up, but i
> get no  output.  The heatsink doesnt even get warm.  Just
> confirmed, power gets to the PS/2 ports, cause the optical
> mouse's light goes on.  I dont have a null modem cable here to
> be able to telnet in, is there any more than what i've done
> thta i can do?

Not much I can think of, at least not without a null-modem
cable. Did you actually try to boot it with a minimal
configuration?

> Its a Digital Server 3305, apparently exactly like an
> ALphaserver 8000.
>
> Lets say hypotheticallly the CPU is done for, would buying a
> replacement off of ebay be that hard?  Or would i just be
> better off buying a whole new box and just tranfering all the
> components?

I'd say it's far cheaper to get a CPU off of eBay.  Just looking
right now, I see a couple of 21264's with "Buy it now" for less
than $100.  There's also a 21164+PC164LX up for a mere $5
(though there's four days left for auction campers to change
that).

IIRC the AlphaServer 8000 is a 21164-based system, upgradeable
to 21264?  I wouldn't swear to that though.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"