Re: How to install new kernel

Hello,
On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:14:17PM +0100, Jan Lentfer wrote:
> So, how do I get my kernel installed and booted?

The by fare easiest way is to build your own kernel deb and install
it, then everything is taken care of:

*)Get, unpack and (possibly) patch your kernel sources
*)If you have a similar kernel (i.e. you just bumped the minor
  version)
  cp $OldKernelDir/.config $NewKernelDir
  cd $NewKernelDir
  make oldconfig
*)make menuconfig
  If this is the first time you do this on this machine, go through
  all submenues carefully (well, those which do not apply you can
  disable/skip quickly of course)
*)fakeroot make-kpkg clean
*)fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=XXX kernel_image
  replace XXX by something like MachineName.KernelNo where KernelNo
  does not indicate the kernel version but some internal counting for
  your reference
*)cd ..
*)dpkg -i kernelXXX
*)Now double check /etc/aboot.conf (or /boot/etc/aboot.conf) to check
  if your old kernel is still in the list
*)Reboot into your new kernel

If you are building the SAME kernel version again, you have to move
/lib/modules/$KernelVersion
to some new name, otherwise the debian package cannot be installed.

Btw. I never had to actually gzip any kernel when I did manual
installs; I simply copied them from
$KERNELDIR/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinuz
to my /boot directory.

Hope this helps