building kernel

Hello.

Can anyone tell me, why linux kernel is built with -mno-fp-regs and
-Wa,-mev6, (see linux/arch/alpha/Makefile).

The strange thing is that I have configured kernel for my Miata system
(600ua), which is ev56, even it seems kernel is _always_ linked for ev6
CPU.

It is also interesting, when -mno-soft-float and -mfp-reg are essential
and not dangerous. Kernel built with -mno-soft-float -mfp-regs -Wa,mev6
oops'es at boot time, without -Wa,mev6 system boots but many programs do
not work.

BTW, what for kernel is built with -ffixed-8?

Thanks,
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia