Re: java not working anymore (libc6.1 ?)

Gnanasekaran Thoppae <gnana@gsf.de> writes:

> I am running 'sid' on Alpha XP1000.  I have been using compaq jdk 1.3.1
> successfully, since recently I have not be able to use it. I get this
> error:
> -------------------
> java -version
> Can't load library "/usr/java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so",
> because /usr/java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
> version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time
> reference
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
> -------------------
>
> somewhere on the net i read a similar posting that indicated that in
> libc6.1-2.3.1 something is broken that results in incompatible binary.

It is indeed an incompatibility with the new libc. JDK used a private
symbol from glibc, which is no longer exported in the newer version.
It seems this is already fixed in JDK 1.4. Unfortunately, it doesn't
look like HP is working on an Alpha Linux version of JDK right now, so
your best bet is probably to stay with the old libc, or make a chroot
with it.

--
	Falk