Re: using ttf fonts crashes X

Peter Petrakis [voodoo@alphadriven.org] wrote:
> I've 'always' been able to get ttf fonts working in X regardless of
> freetype by using the 'xtt' backend. Add that to you options and
> remove the freetype extension and it should work. See the docs,
> since there is some extra font index work you need to do. Oh, this
> does -not- work with the font server.

Also of note is that mkttfdir from the fttools package no longer works
under Debian/unstable because the perl package it uses (libjcode-pm-perl
and others, I think) does not compile under perl 5.8, which is now the
default for unstable.

I'd really like to see this one get fixed.  This bug has been bothering
me for ~4 years.

Cheers,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (bob@mcelrath.org)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
    esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
        -- Nietzsche