SCSI broken on 2.4.18?

I just spent the last day and a half arguing with a Symbios
53c810 controller over whether it was going to work with kernel
2.4.  I went through 2.4.19, 2.4.18, 2.4.16, and Debian's
patched 2.4.18, all with no luck (though the thing works just
fine under Debian's 2.2.20).  Gathering debug messages points to
SCSI bus timeouts.

Now, just for kicks, I threw in a QLogic 1040 controller to see
how it would respond.  It appears to do much the same
thing--works under 2.2.20, but doesn't work on any of the 2.4
kernels I've tried.  I don't know how to get extra-verbose debug
messages out of this driver, but I assume it's the same
problem--which suggests that SCSI is broken on these 2.4 kernels
and the Alpha.

So what I'd like to know now is, has anyone had better luck than
I have, or am I just stuck with kernel 2.2 for now?

For those who'd like to know, the box is a PC164LX motherboard,
600MHz 21164 CPU, 512MB PC100, S3 Trio64, Intel PRO/100 NIC, and
the two SCSI cards I mentioned above.

On a side note, how is DMA-enabled performance of the CMD646
controller on this motherboard?  Comparable to Intel PIIX4, or
something rather less spectacular?

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"