Re: up2000 too big for most cases?

With regards to your message at 03:20 AM 10/27/02, Stephen Kapp. Where you stated:
Tom Vier wrote:
i'm getting a up2000, and i've got my eye on a coolermaster 200 case. are
the big slot b modules a problem? will it fit in any midsize atx case?

Speak to Maurice Hilarius at HardData they have cases for the UP2000. They have a 3u Rack mount case that looks very good for the UP2000, I have one on order. Also if you need any spares etc, then they can usually supply.

If your still wanting a coolermaster then the new 4u rack case they've brought out should take the board, they say it will take a 13"x12" ATX motherboard. Also Lian Li do some cases that take the 13"x12" ATX boards too. However the only issue is the extra holes required for mounting the CPU mounts (Goal Posts), most boards do not have the holes, you can drill them yourself which is easy with any case that has a removable CPU tray like the Lian Li and Coolermaster cases.

Thanks Stephen.
Unfortunately the case mechanicals requirement goes beyond just having the room, and drilling some holes.
The SlotB modules are quite heavy. Further they project a long way out.
To do this successfully, one must pick a case that has enough structural strength to hold them with no bending or deflection.
These are few.
The Lian Li aluminum cases are an example of what I would NOT recommend. Their thin aluminum sheet panels are far too weak for this application.

One also need to pay careful attention to the airflow to feed the CPUs enough intake air, and to exhaust the heat output.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

Ask me about NAS and near-line storage