Re: Problems with kernel 2.5.4[1-4]

Richard Heycock <rgh@roughage.com.au> writes:

> I recently been trying to get the latest 2.5 kernels to work, so far
> I've tried 2.5.4[1-4]. I have been able to get them to boot and run
> but not without a few problems:
>
> 1) 2.5.4[34] required patching which is attached. Please don't flame
>    me about this patch it's just a quick and dirty to get me up and
>    running. If anyone knows how to do it properly... Aside from that
>    it compiled pretty cleanly.

A patch was posted to lkm for this and some other stuff by Ivan
Kokshaysky.

> 2) I generally get an increase in unaligned trap but this is much better
>    with 2.5.44.

I guess it isnt't really worth tracking them till things stabilize a
bit... (unless you get more than a few thousand each second).

> 3) On boot up most things work (X, ppp, networking etc). The major thing
>    that doesn't work is evolution mail. evolution itself largely works
>    but if I compose a message (whether it be a reply or forward, etc)
>    I get a CIA machine check (attached) and nothing happens.

Hmm, weird. I think I've heard of problems with Evolution and 2.5
before somewhere, perhaps grepping the list archives woll help.

--
	Falk