Re: netbooting alphastation 500 with current debian

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 18:57, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:14:13AM -0400, alex avriette wrote:
> >
> > i'm real excited in that i've got bootp and tftp working to the degree
> > the alpha will load an image. anyone care to speculate on how to build
> > an image it will like?
>
> One way to build an image is to do "make bootpfile" after making the
> kernel, and a BOOTPable image will appear as arch/alpha/boot/bootpfile.
> It is uncompressed, so it can be fairly large (>1MB).
>
> Another way is to build it via the "aboot" package, which has the
> advantage of building an image with the compressed kernel, so it is
> a good bit smaller, but does require the presence of the "aboot"
> development environment.

I tried this many times even with the  latest version of from the
sourceforge.But nothing worked. I will be able to create a image but
boot ewa0 never worked for me with this image. It gave invalid kernel
stack. If the images are not compressed it gave invalid compression
format. In short, making netboot images is broken on aboot.  I have
reported the problem to Will Woods  long time back.

-aneesh