Re: Reasonable graphics card for AWS 500au

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:27:20PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com> writes:
>
> > ATI PCI Rage 128 16MB
> > ATI PCI Radeon 32MB
> > ATI PCI Radeon VE (7000) 32MB
> > ATI PCI Radeon 7500 64MB
> >
> > All but the last, you may need to frequent computer flea-markets to
> > find, whereas the 7500 appears to be just recently released to retail,
> > and is not only a sizeable step upwards in terms of performance, but
> > is also cheap (~$80 US in a recent Best Buy flyer here in
> > Massachusetts).
>
> I have a Radeon 7500 (although in an AGP slot in a Nautilus), and X
> sometimes randomly crashes without anything special going on (about
> once every two weeks); also switching to console often very hangs, so
> I don't really dare anymore... And you need XFree 4.2, which only
> recently entered unstable.
>
> I hope those issues are going to improve, though, so it's probably not
> such a bad choice.

I've been having similar problems - just occasionally my machine locks
up solid, usually when I'm dragging a window.  It's a completely solid
hang, not just X - I can't connect to the machine remotely to reboot
it.

I initially thought this was a RAM problem, but I've run the SRM memory
exerciser for hours with no problems.

This is kernel 2.4.18 and a Radeon 7500.

It's a shame, because it's otherwise a very nice card, and is quite
happy to drive my rather unusual monitor - a 1600x1024 wide screen SGI
flat panel, at 24/32 bit colour depth (which is more than can be said
for my wife's Windows PC, connected to the same monitor through a KVM
splitter, which has to stick with 1280x1024 and blank stripes on either
side of the screen).

Tim