Re: Reasonable graphics card for AWS 500au

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:18:58PM +0200, Andrew Maier wrote:
> I have inherited a AWS 500au (Miata).

So have I, but I got mine a year ago or so. So it's working. Recompiling
the kernel with miata optimization and keeping keyboard supports seems
hard.

> I have tried a ATI mach64 GX card without success (It bombs me into the SRM
> console when tying to configure it)

I tried several mach64:s (and a couple of others) before I got one that
actually worked. I never actually learing anything about vga-adapters.
Just trial and error with cards that friends could spare.

> I am now looking for a reasonale (24bit  for a 17in screen) graphics card
> for this machine.

I'm not sure exactly what differs the mach64 i got working with those
that didn't. But if it is of any help to you lspci says:

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c)

> Any recommendations welcome,

Not really a recommendation, but I can report that my card works with
1600x1200x24 at least. I think it's unaccelerated. I havn't tried optimizing
performance or anything.

I'm using XFree 4.

Good luck!
--