Screen scrambling in Pine 4.44

With Pine 4.44-4 in my Woody, the text consistently gets scrambled on
the screen when I do certain operations (e.g., Compose and answer the
question about continuing a postponed message).  It looks as though
the curses controls are not working properly.

This happened with a Pine that I built by hand back in April, and also
now with one that I just installed today using the pine_4.44-4 source
package for Woody. (I have a feeling that the one I built in April
worked properly until some time during the summer, but I can't
document that, nor what changes I might have made to affect it.)

This screen scrambling happens whether I'm using a gnome-terminal
window on the attached monitor, or using ssh from outside. I've tried
different TERM settings (xterm, vt100, vt220) without effect.

When I tested the pine on an x86 machine (also pine 4.4-4 in Woody)
it did NOT show the scrambling, suggesting that it's an Alpha issue.

When I compiled Pine there were tremendous numbers of compiler
warnings about
   cast from pointer to integer of different size
 and a few
   passing arg ... from incompatible pointer type
 and a few
   the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
I don't know if any of these might be related to the cursor-control
problem.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? Or not seeing it, for that matter.
I haven't found any mention of it in either debian-alpha or
comp.mail.pine.

Thanks.

- Robert