Super-slow compilation

Hello,
I was just wondering: it seems to me that my alpha (pc164/500Mhz) is
waaays slowerthan the pentiumII (450Mhz) at work, when it comes to compilation. Harddisk
parameters are about the same. But whenever I compile something (mostly
c++, KDE3.0, I'm coming ;-), it takes several minutes (sic) just to include the
qt-headerfiles. Whereas on the pentium at work this takes just a couple of seconds (of
course, it was the same file.)
 Has anybody an idea what I'm running into?

Ineiti

PS: This is a debian/unstable with
g++ --version
2.95.4
and I got about the same performance with a SuSE-system...