Re: DPL: please delegate an equipment donations manager

With regards to your message at 10:32 AM 4/26/02, Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer. Where you stated:
Bdale,

This gentleman makes a good point.

Thanks! I was hoping this would be taken the wrong way.
Many times this type of thing is occuring.
A few months ago a call went out for testing some release code on various Alphas. I replied twice to the Deb alpha list, as we have many machines we maintain for development
and support of Linux.
Nobody answered, even though I confirmed that the responses DID indeed show up on the lists.

(After all, if the Alpha porters don't need another box, the DSA team
doesn't need the administrative overhead of another box; and it's not
much good for the Alpha porters to accept a box if the DSA team is
unwilling or unable to administrate it for some reason.)

On a related point (speaking as a Debian developer), the DSA team may be
overworked/understaffed, and it may be apropos to appoint some
additional members.
Definitely.
At this point the Red Hat axp community is looking to other distribution directions, as apparently Red Hat 7.2 Alpha is the last gasp from the Red Hat side, and even that is a limited distribution.
Most are contemplating a move to the Debian direction.
As such, it is now needed for some Debian spokespeople to address this movement.

In the event that this particular machine cannot find a home as an
official Project Alpha box, I suggest we arrange for the box to be
donated to a Debian Developer who is trusted and motivated to work on
the Alpha port, if the donor is agreeable to this.
Absolutely agreeable.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!