Re: What have we learned? (WAS -RE: Idea: Reponse to the responses( was RE: Interesting idea....(at least I think so) ))

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, alvin wrote:

> If the likelyhood of RH selling more alpha boxed sets and support is
> fast dwindling why not cut your losses. Both business and psychic. I am
> sure it will not be too long before debian follows suit with RH and cuts
> its support for the Alpha.

Excuse me?  Why are you so =sure= about Debian cutting Alpha support?  I
won't even go into why I *know* alpha won't be going away from Debian for
quite awhile, but will say that the fact that we support m68k still is
fairly telling...

> What the alpha community needs more than a new distribution is somebody
> to produce cost effective motherboards.  A daughter card that would plug
> into an X86 processor slot/socket might go a long way to breathing life
> into the Alpha.

So, let me get this straight, according to your comments, two of the three
major Alpha distributions of Linux will be dropping support and you're
saying that we need new motherboards?  Putting the cart before the
proverbial horse a bit, aren't we?  If there isn't a dist to run on any
new boards, what makes you think that they'll sell?