Re: Fw: 3.0.17 woody install boot disks won't net install?

Paul Slootman wrote:

--snip-- <
I've uploaded my milo and my kernel package as
http://people.debian.org/~paul/milo and
http://people.debian.org/~paul/kernel-image-2.4.18_1_alpha.deb
in case anyone wants to try them.

Paul Slootman

Paul,

First of all, thanks a million for posting your milo and kernel-image. It allowed me to quickly make some tests here on my XLT that leads me to believe I have a hardware problem!! Here is my reasoning:

1. My milo + your 2.4.18 kernel --> kernel panic. The messages is "...Cannot open root device "sdb3" or 08:13"

2.  Your milo + your 2.4.18 kernel --> same error message as above.

3. My milo + my "stripped" 2.4.18 kernel --> same error message as above. Note: I have made the "default" changes to look like yours for the SCSI card.

Since yours is a known "good" combination that boots the 2.4.18 kernel and it acts the same way as all of my attempts, I would think the only possibility left is something wrong with the SCSI controller. Upon reflection, this makes a bit of sense. I lost my 9 Gig HD a while back & didn't discover it for a few days. I just swapped the current HD for the "bad" one, and did a fresh install of Debian testing and was back in business. Maybe the HD wasn't all that went bad... there were some thunderstorms while I was absent from the house, and that computer was on and wasn't protected by a UPS... Now to scroune up another SCSI controller to check out this hypothesis.

One question: The message indicates it cannot find "sdb3" (which is my ext2 partition) but also refers to 08:13. According to my /dev file sdb3 should be 08:19! /dev/sda13 is listed as 08:13. Am I miss-reading this info, or is something wrong with this picture? Is the "13" a hex or decimal number?? It is OK if it is a hex, I think.

Some notes on your milo. It appears to be compiled against the 2.0.30 kernel in 1999 according to the messages displayed during bootup. When using your milo, I can see the progress a bit better. The error messages occur after it unzips the compressed kernel image, and during the init of the controller. Your milo DEFINATELY doesn't support the newer ext2 partition type as you have said. OTOH, my milo is version 2.0.35c7b, compiled against the 2.0.35 kernel in late 2000, and DOES support the newer ext2 fs! That was my original confusion on this end.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-