Re: I killed my Debian on Alpha :( 2.4 blues

Hello !
On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 07:38:38PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> OK, I'm an idiot.  I'm not yet experienced with aboot.  I have an Alpha
> that _was_ booting via SRM and me choosing a default configuration.  I
> upgraded it to unstable and installed kernel 2.4.18? from Debian.
> I can't boot the bloody thing at all now :(

Did you install your kernel using the "Debian Way" (i.e. finally
installing a deb) ?

If so you will have the previous version still available, if not you
should at least look.

At the SRM prompt type
b xxx -fl "i"

where xxx is your boot device in SRM language, usually dqa or dkb, run

show dev

if you are not sure. Now this will bring you to the aboot prompt (if
you have anything but an ancient aboot). Here type "l" to see all
available configurations. If your previous one is still listed simply
type the first number. Else you will have to type in your previous
parameters manually. There are docs on www.linuxalpha.org.

Last but not least once your are up check out the man page for
aboot.conf and tell me what you did not understand (since I wrote it).

Regarding initrd I cannot be of any help, sorry.

Greetings

          Helge

P.S. Which version of aboot are you using ?

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
  gpg signed mail preferred    gpg-key: finger kreutzm@rigel.itp.uni-hannover.de