Re: I killed my Debian on Alpha :( 2.4 blues

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:31:20AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > OK, I'm an idiot.  I'm not yet experienced with aboot.  I have an Alpha
> > that _was_ booting via SRM and me choosing a default configuration.  I
> > upgraded it to unstable and installed kernel 2.4.18? from Debian.
> > I can't boot the bloody thing at all now :(
>
> So what happens when you boot with aboot? Did you load the initrd?

I had similar problems, it loads the initrd, looks okay, displays an
Oops, and then complains it can't mount the root filesystem.  One change
I did have to make was that the default ramdisk size larger than the
default of 4096 (the initrd is 4133k).

Similar problems on a ES40 and DS10.

On a similar note, the 2.2.20 SMP kernel can only find one CPU on our
ES40.  We believe (according to the paperwork), that the are two CPUs,
but the SMP kernel only finds one.  And a final question - We have 4 GB
of RAM, what is the best way for us to get Linux (2.2 or 2.4) to detect
and run with it?

Regards,

Matthew