From: rdp@talisman.mv.com [mailto:rdp@talisman.mv.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 2:17 PM
To: Peter Petrakis
Subject: Re: DNS happenings FW: FW: alphalinux.org and linuxalpha.org
(was Re: Nvidia video cards)

OK, I've figured it out (for real this time)...it seems that netsol has
changed the way they route DNS queries. The old way tried the servers in
order...so when your DNS machine asked the root servers for the
authoritative server for a domain it delivered them in the order they were
set. No more! Now it seems to re-order the DNS search order on fly. So,
your DNS server contacts the root server and gets (in order):

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linuxalpha.org.		1d3h7m59s IN NS  NS1.MONADLUG.org.
linuxalpha.org.		1d3h7m59s IN NS  NS1.THESHELL.COM.

your machine asks ns1.monadlug.org the address and gets it.

then the next guy gets:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linuxalpha.org.		1d26m8s IN NS	NS1.THESHELL.COM.
linuxalpha.org.		1d26m8s IN NS	NS1.MONADLUG.org.

his DNS server goes and asks ns1.theshell.com who says "No such domain" as
Barrett never set up the secondaries for that domain!

So I'll be looking for a new secondary to say the least!

--rdp

--
www.linuxalpha.org	www.alphadriven.org
Peter Petrakis         Warrior/Engineer        voodoo@alphadriven.org