Re: Video Card support

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:38:26AM -0500, Rich Payne wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, David Creed wrote:
>
> > we've found a cheap TNT2 card to replace it.
> > Would this be a reasonable card? It's supported under X windows but am I
> > wasting my time squeezing it into the Alpha box?
>
> I know the TNT2 cards will work in the later machines like an LX (with
> latest firmware). I don't know about the miata series.

Yes, they are fine in LX and SX, but it looks like NOT fine in MIATA.

I just tried an ELSA Synergy II-32 PCI in MIATA, with black screen as
the result, meaning it didn't make it through the BIOS emulator. This
has been a problem with the TNT2 cards for a while, only fixed on those
machines with a late-enough BIOS emulator.

Of course, YMMV, depending on the BIOS code in the TNT2 card you plug in.

However, you might try to find an ATI Rage 128-based PCI card, as that
seems fine in MIATA, and will do 3D on Alpha as well... :-)

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K15         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com