Re: kernel compile HOWTO

Hello !
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 06:41:17PM +1100, Toby Thain wrote:
> It seems to work equally well with arbitrary source trees, following
> the instructions included with the package - basically, quoting
> /usr/doc/kernel-package/README:
>
>   For the Brave and the impatient:
> Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
>   1% cd <kernel source tree>
>   2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
> Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
>   3% make-kpkg clean
>   4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>        (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
>        sudo are examples that come to mind).
> Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
>   5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb

Please note that if you replace a kernel version with itself (e.g. new
options) then you have to do the following steps:
4b) mv -i /lib/modules/2.x.y /lib/modules/2.x.y.old
5) dpkg -i
5b) rm vmlinuz.old
    ln -s /boot/vmlinux.old.version vmlinuz.old
   To have an old kernel handy. I am going to file a bug report on
   this soon.

>   6# shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
>                      # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Forget about LILO in this example. Aboot works just dandy with the
kernel-package (probably this should be replaced by BOOTLOADER with a
bug report also).

Best Greetings

          Helge

--