more mouse troubles

I did a net install of woody on a PWS433au a couple weeks ago and I also
had mouse troubles.  It starts up in KDE beautifully and the mouse works
fine for about 20 seconds.  Then the mouse becomes intermittent until it
eventually does not respond at all (this happens after about 30-40
seconds).  I can use the keyboard to navigate to log off which takes me
to the kdm(?) login screen where I can restart X.  Then all of this
happens repeats itself.

We've had occasional problems with these pws433's and the mouse/keyboard
ports going bad.  So I first assumed that was the problem, but after
swapping the mobo 4 times and still having the same problem, I'm
assuming it's a software problem.

ideas anyone?
Terry