DAC960 and GCC

There's no gcc in debian that will compile the DAC960 module on my alpha
noritake system (as1000a)  gcc-3.0 doesn't compile 2.4.17 right, gcc 2.95.4
bombs with an error compiling the module, and gcc 2.95.2 (debian potato)
just eats all memory and bomb compiling that module.

Someone running rh 7.1 and gcc 2.96 was able to compile a kernel for me and
it's working great.

Why is there no gcc 2.96 for alpha (or for that matter, no other arch than
ia64)