Re: Graphics in my PWS433au Miata

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:12:01PM -0500, Terry A. Bowling wrote:

> I have a number of PWS433au's running Digital Unix 4.0d and one PWS600au
> running RH7.1.  I want to give Debian a try on one of the 433's.
>
> The 600 has a PBXGK-BB graphics card which is an Elsa Gloria Synergy 8
> (aka Powerstorm 4D10T, I believe this is a Permedia2 chipset with 8MB
> ram).

Correct.

> The 433 has a PBXGB-AA graphics card which I believe to be a Powerstorm
> 3D30 using the Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429 chipset with 2MB ram.

Yes, PBXGB aka 3D30 is a TGA2 (8-plane) with 2MB memory; it uses the
Cirrus VGA for text-mode console, and TGA2 chipset for accelerated X.

> I just updated the 433 to SRM V7.2 with the Compaq 6.0 update CD.  If I
> put the Elsa card into the 433 and booted to SRM, I get the following
> error message:
> Illegal device detected on primary bus in physical slot 4
> Power down the system and remove the unsupported device from slot 4
>
> My questions are:
> 1.  Will the Elsa card work in the 433's?  It works great in the 600
> with same SRM version.

Consoles should be the same between the 433 and 600.

> 2.  Does the Powerstorm 3D30 card really only have 2MB and how well
> supported is it under XFree4x.

Yes, only 2MB, and will only run in 8-bit depth. Acceleration is OK, but
not great, and it works under RH 7.1 XFree86 4.0.3.

> 3.  Since we have the 3D30 in our 433's under DU4.0D, we have problems
> with "running out of colours."  Is there anything I can do to squeeze
> more performance out of these without upgrading to True64?

Using a window manager that conserves colors (ie NOT KDE or GNOME or CDE :-),
would go a long way toward this goal. Dunno if this is possible under DU...

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K15         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com