Re: Installation of woody with floppy disk images - where can I find the base dep packages?

Harald Simon <harald.simon@luebeck.netsurf.de> writes:

> hmmm, This is the first expirience with debian. Also, I have no
> direct network

Maybe you should try the disks from the stable distribution. The
testing distribution is, well for testing. Errors are normal there and
for a first timer you wouldn't know a way around them. Even figuring
out something is an error and not you doing something wrong can take a
while.

Once you have the stable/potato system installed you can easily
upgrade to testing/woody and/or unstable/sid if you feel you need the
newer packages (at the risk of new bugs).

> -- just ppp via modem -- and no chance to get access to a running debian
> box. Perhaps, I should reinstall my redhat and create the package?

No old pc or laptop or anything you have Network too which could play
gateway? Even an old i386 would do. Instaling via network is way
better than creating all those floppy disks (one of which allways has
a read error :).

MfG
        Goswin

PS: If you ask nicely Falk Hueffner might make an install CD for you,
if you have a cd-write that is.