Re: Netscape on Alpha?

hi

I am not good at legal issues so I am cross posting this to
debian-legal

the problem: Debian Alpha is lacking a good browser
the solution: there is a version of Netscape 4.7-4
 that was compiled by Compaq for  Tru64; this version is
 also distributed by RedHat for Alpha; some people have
 passed it thru alien and installed it, and it works; it would take me
 20 minutes to upload it into Debian archives (unstable/non-free)
the question: it contains some libraries by Compaq: can I upload it?
 The license follows.

thanks.

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:11:01PM +0100, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Andrea Mennucc wrote:
>
> > what about uploading that package to the debian archives, in
> > non-free?
>
> Do the license of Compaq and the Debian policy allow this? Presumably a
> debian-maintainer with access-permission for uploads has to do this?
>
> The package is 16.6 MB large and this is the dpkg -I output:
>

>  new debian package, version 2.0.
>  size 16583190 bytes: control archive= 6444 bytes.
>        0 bytes,     0 lines      conffiles
>     1582 bytes,    38 lines      control
>    15331 bytes,   197 lines      md5sums
>      257 bytes,     8 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
>      194 bytes,     6 lines   *  prerm                #!/bin/sh
>  Package: netscape
>  Version: 4.7-4
>  Section: alien
>   The Alpha Tru64 Unix version of Netscape, which runs on Alpha Linux.
>   Requires COFF support in the kernel.  There may be problems running
> Java
>   due to differences in the thread models between Tru64 Unix and Linux.
>   This RPM embeds the instructions at
>   http://www.alphalinux.org/docs/netscape_du.shtml.
>   Includes some Compaq Tru64 Unix libraries.
>   .
>   Disclaimer of Warranty:
>   .
>     The products and product information furnished hereunder are
> furnished
>     "AS IS" without warranty, service or support of any kind.  You
> assume
>     all risks as to the quality or performance of the products and
>     responsibility for any costs associated with the service or support
>     of the products.  COMPAQ disclaims all implied warranties including,
>     without limitation, all implied warranties of merchantability and
> fitness.
>   .
>   Limitation of Liability:
>   .
>     In no event will COMPAQ be liable for any damages whatsoever,
> including
>     loss of data or use, lost profits, or any incidential or
> consequential
>     damages arising out of or in connection with this agreement or the
> use
>     or performance of the products, whether in an action of contract or
>     tort including negligence.
>   .
>   %changes
>   Repackaged to install files directly rather than by running a script
>   to unpack a tar file.
>   .
>   Moved install directories from /usr/local/... to /usr/lib/... to match
>   RedHat 6.1 for Intel.

ps: please someone send me a link to an URL from which I may download the .rpm
 and the .deb

a.

--
A Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Renato Carotone)