Setting up network interfaces?

I recently was given authority over an old AlphaServer that has been
lying around our college campus, unused, for several years.  I installed
Debian from the LinuxCentral CD and initially set the networking to use
dhcp.

I was just told, today, that a static IP address visible to the world at
large has been assigned to the server.  From what one of the instructors
has shown me from the server that he set up (using Windows eXtra Poopy)
what he had to set up was the internal IP address, subnet mask, default
gateway, and DNS servers.  The campus servers, apparently, map from the
external IP address to the internal one.

Where do I set up these items so that they will be initialized at
bootup, instead of using dhcp?  It looks like I need to change
/etc/interfaces and possibly /etc/hosts, but I'm not sure just what I
need to change in these files.  Also, these files only seem to address
the IP address and the machine's hostname.  Where do I set the subnet
mask, gateway and DNS server numbers?  What HOWTO should I be checking
for all of this info?

Since all of the other computers on campus are currently running some
version of Windows, I would really like to get this up and running so
that there is at least ONE machine runix NIX that the students have
access to.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com                you will live to be 150 years old,