gnome-libs/imlib bug?

Hello all,
	I've got debian woody installed an an XP1000 500Mhz (EV6) with
512MB of RAM. Everything works great except for gnome apps, which all
crash almost immediately with this error:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)

I've seen references to this error on the web, such as here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/1998-December/msg00015.html
However, that does not say how to fix it without recompiling by hand,
which I'd rather not do. I tried installing gnome-libs from sarge, and it
didn't help. Any suggestions? Anything else I should try? Any more
information needed?
	-Josiah