Switching from kde to gnome

Hi folks,

Somehow using dselect I've installed KDE however I'd like to switch back to Gnome There doesn't seem to be an easy way using control panel - system. I'd prefer Gnome because it seems more stable and kde seemed unstable on my old rh7.1 system - one of the reasons I switched to debian and maybe it wasn't RH that was flaky at all just KDE. I've searched on google and someone said put an .xinitrc file in my home directory and that doesn't seem to work also I'm logged on as root.

Is there anyway I can put it in my boot command from SRM.

Also is there a way I can boot straight into console without going into KDE or Gnome?

cheers,

Pete

PS This is giving me a head ache ;-/