Re: Alpha 255 vs S3Virge

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 06:49:17PM -0400, Lou Poppler wrote:

> I am the unlucky owner of an Alpha 255 which has never talked to me.
> When I got it, it had an S3virge card in it.  I connected several different
> monitors to this card, but when I booted the alpha (and I could hear it
> booting and working for a while) I always got nothing on the screen.
> (I had similar nonsuccess using an 8088 running Kermit connected to its
>  serial port.)
>
> Can you offer any tips for what I might type blind to get this card to
> work right away, so I could try to talk to whichever of the boot programs
> is trying to run ?  I would be very grateful.

I just tried an AS250 4/266 with an S3 virge (86C325), and it came up
in SRM console just fine, running SRM version 7.0-9.

As you've not seen any console output on the S3, try unplugging the
keyboard and mouse and try again with the serial ports; COM1 is the
top one, I believe, so plug the Kermit line into there and look for
8N1-9600, IIRC.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com