Re: sx164 with matrox mga2

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:10:38PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Tue 23 Jul 2002, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
>
> > > All the Millennium II's that I've seen have 4MB (4 chips) on the card
> > > itself, and need the additional plugin "daughtercard" that holds more
> > > memory (4MB, 8MB, and 12MB are the options, IIRC). So if you do NOT
> > > have a daughtercard, you may only have the original 4MB...
> >
> > It's possible that I misremembered putting one of my 8mb cards in that
> > machine and still have a 4mb in there.
>
> I have an alpha with a 4MB Matrox Mill-II (2MB onboard + 2MB on a
> daughterboard), and lspci shows 8MB; my Athlon has a 32MB Matrox G450,
> and lspci shows 32MB. Go figure.
>
> Maybe the PCI data shows the maximum the card will support?

Sometimes it's close, but most times not; what "lspci" shows is how
much address space on the PCI bus is requested, by the card itself,
for various resources on the card, like registers and frame buffer.

Most times the frame buffer size is a reasonable maximum that the
manufacturer will ever put or allow onto the card; other times it is
not (I seem to remember Trio64 having 2MB and requesting 64MB :-).

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com