RE: Call me crazy

>yes, I know, I should get a decent windows-machine for this, but hey, I can
>dream, can I? OK, here's my catch: I would like to capture some video from
>DV-cam into my computer. And yes, it's an alpha. At work, with an
>intel-linux, it works more or less (the machine's not decent enough...
snif).
> At home, with the alpha, I had to convince the kernel that ieee1394 for an
>alpha is a good idea (2.4.19-rc2). gscanbus detects the camera, I can
'play',
>'stop' and all else (btw: who had the idea to compile libraw1394 for an
alpha
>even though it's not even supported in the kernel? Sometimes...) But as
soon
>as I try to dvgrab something, the file is not recognised afterwards.
Neither
>by 'kino', nor 'xine', nor 'xanim'. They all bark at the generated file.
> Did somebody succeed in making DV-recording work on an alpha?

Wow - very crazy.  :-)   I actually went out yesterday an bought a USB/1394
combo card for my Alpha yesterday and had similar experience "convincing"
the 2.4.19-rc3 kernel to build 1394 support on Alpha.

Unfortunately I haven't tried a  1394 device yet - (this was all premptive
on my part!).  I know the ieee1394 support detects my card, but beyond that
it's just sitting there.

Is 1394 left out of the Alpha kernel config for a reason?

...tom