Re: Configuring ipchains and DNS

At 22:05 9/07/2002, bob sent this up the stick:
Anyway, long story short. I'd like to get up to speed on configuring a
firewall/gateway & DNS (I think I can handle most everything else but I
have 0 experience with ipchains or setting up a DNS (I'll be
registering a domain).  I may need some hints here and there along the
way on other things too.

Read the various Howtos on http://ldp.planetmirror.com

I'm feeling a bit over awed trying to get this all together and _secure_
in less than 1/4 the time I'd thought I was going to have, I'd already
been planing to leave relying on the ISP's services later this year by
doing all this [once woody had been released] but they got the first
punch in. The plan _was_ to get pieces setup and running, sort out bugs
and do the RTFMing before putting it all on-line. Now its all going to
happen far to quickly for that in terms of the hours I have available to
devote to this project so I'm going to have to ask for your help and try
and understand it as we go along, not my favourite way of doing things
:(.

Debian is pretty good out of the box.

Things that I'll need to have pass through the firewall are DNS, email,
http and ssh. I'll also have a few things that'll need access to the LAN
running on the box so allowing 192.168... would be a good idea too :).

There is a firewall/NAT package in Woody called Shorewall that is pretty flexible, and their mailing list is good for support.

Otherwise you could go with plain ole ipchains and the Debian package of ipmasq to get masquerading going.

Oh, and any recommendations for a MTA? Something that can handle a mixed
environment so probably POP + SMTP to keep it simple (sendmail? or
something else?) and be capable of dealing with running small lists.

Postfix as the MTA - simply because it does not relay by default, and all config is in one file. Either Cyrus or Courier as the POP/IMAP server. Mailman seems a popular choice for mailing lists running with Postfix, but others are Listar and SmartList. Majordomo works too, but is prolly not the best choice anymore. The Postfix (www.postfix.org) website has loads of docs and Howtos.

[1]potato? 'cause its the only distro I've been able to get working on
the box. Besides... its stable.

Well, I run Woody on all my boxes, and it is as stable as Potato when I had it running. What sort of Alpha are you running? What problems have you had?

Cheers,
Rob