Re: Who keeps writing /etc/resolv.conf?

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Jeffrey Chimene wrote:

> I finally got Netscape running over PPP - after adding the SEARCH
> LOCALHOST command to /etc/resolv.conf
>
> However, something keeps removing the line - it has privileges to
> re-write the file  (I set the file a-w)
>
> Is there any way to see what app is changing this file?

It's probably the ppp scripts or the dhcp client doing the
rewriting.  Unfortunately, I haven't had a ppp connection in so long, I
forget how to fix it :-P  If you look at the scripts invoked by pppd,
you'll probably find the one that writes it (sorry I can't be more
specific).  Instead of editing it, though, see if it uses the ifup/ifdown
interface and just add a script to /etc/network/if-up.d to add the line
that you want.