Re: What have we learned? (WAS -RE: Idea: Reponse to the responses( was RE: Interesting idea....(at least I think so) ))

Hello Maurice (and others),

Maurice Hilarius wrote:

Just for interest, I asked the Debian maintainers, through the recommended page, and through the Debian alpha list, where we should send/communicate with to donate a machine.

So far we have no response.

This is an example of what I perceive as the biggest issues with Debian ( and Alpha) at present:

Who is actually in charge of anything?

Certain people are officially in charge of certain activities, such as maintaining the repository and coordinating releases. Where a specific need arises, there is often a "call" of sorts for help, and somebody steps in, such as when Sam Hartman put together the initial list of questions to ask of legal cousel regarding the crypto-in-main transition. In a smaller way, each package has its maintainer, who is an important single contact for the maintenance of the package, and there are procedures for replacing that person if it proves necessary; we also have the single Debian Project Leader (DPL), and an interesting mechanism for electing that person...

But a lot of activities don't have a single point of contact. Is that a problem? Sometimes. It might be nice to have single contacts for, say, each port, but I don't think there is one. "Write to the list" has been sufficient.

Do they have time and inclination to deal with these issues and others?

The offer of a free machine still stands. Does the Debian project need it? If not I will throw this open to others who might be interested in Linux Alpha development.

I'm going to put my neck out here and guess that the lack of any response whatsoever to Branden's email to debian-alpha in the last three days is probably a decent indication that the Debian project doesn't absolutely need such a machine right now. There are three basic demands for machines of a given architecture:

   * Autobuilding.  As a maintainer, I can safely say that alpha
     binaries for my packages are autobuilt very promptly after source
     upload, so there's no big need there.
   * Rbuild for stable security updates, which is one of the
     requirements for an architecture to release with woody.  Again, I
     think we're okay here.
   * Miscellaneous machines for maintainers who need to debug/test
     their packages on a given architecture.  Haven't heard this need
     expressed for alpha either (though ARM often gets this complaint).

Since these are the three primary demands for machines, I think we're probably safe on the alpha port for the time being.

Alternatively, "it's only been three days," and with a volunteer project that is not a very long time, even if there is a port coordinator it could take longer than that to reply. Also, you send your original post (Subject "Donation", 23 Apr 2002 03:30:23 -0000) as a reply to "Alpha newbie install woes", making it difficult for people to read it, since it threads under that message and is invisible in many mail clients, this is why creating a brand new message is encouraged vs. replying to an existing one on a list like this. But that's a technicality.

Of course, it doesn't change some of your main points. I don't think a central coordinator for the port would have helped things, but it might be worth considering; the downside is that a single point of contact is also a single point of failure. Judging from the reply to one of Branden's emails, it seems the 68k port is similarly slow to process hardware donations. Is this a problem? Yes, it is, particularly in this instance for 68k which is slow to autobuild packages, and to the extent that it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and bad association with the Debian project, that is a problem too. It is, of course, not Debian's only problem, but it's an important one.

Debian is also slow to package X 4.2.0, and KDE 3, and to actually complete a release. But when a release is made, it's darn stable, because X 4.1.0 has gone through sixteen releases often with prereleases between them to make sure everything works properly on every single arch and subarch (for details: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0204/msg01343.html), and KDE 2.2 is absolutely rock-solid, as is GNOME 1.4 (though much of GNOME 2 is also entering woody). The Debian packages for these which will be released with woody are the best, most portable, thoroughly tested such packages anywhere, even if they don't have the latest bleeding-edge features. I am hoping that package pools and active development of the next generation install system will make Debian 3.1 come out a whole lot closer to 3.0 than 3.0 was to 2.2, and will do my best to make my packages ready for that next release.

Back to the issue at hand, a small handful of dedicated volunteers is all it takes to make a port happen and keep it going. Which is why Debian's released architectures keep growing: four with slink, six with potato, *eleven* with woody (with Hitachi SuperH also working in unstable, and Hurd, BSD, and even Cygwin kernel ports under active development). Need alpha consulting work on the Debian port? No need to go to the distributing CalSuHatDrake company and risk their lack of interest, one can go hire, say, HardData for the work and be reasonably confident that the improvements will be contributed back to Debian. This is where alvin has it wrong in his assertion:

I am sure it will not be too long before debian follows suit with RH and cuts its support for the Alpha.

As long as there are user-developers, there will be support. This was the gist of Peter's original post, and the piece on alphanews: if everyone from axp-list comes over to debian-alpha, then we'll not only have support, but world-class support, e.g. testers for the APB install method on the Nautilus subarch (currently disabled in woody boot-floppies; my Nautilus has failed or I'd test and debug myself), and a working PGI graphical installer with hardware auto-detection (also described in the "for details:" link above).

And you'd more quickly find a deserving taker for your donation, who would run Debian on it and join the community of user-developers committed to making this the best distro anywhere (nine hundred maintainers and growing...).

Oh, I see Chris has just replied to your message, and expressed more authoritatively an interest in your machine donation. Add another "Thanks for the donation!"

Regards,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>