Re: Fw: 3.0.17 woody install boot disks won't net install?

On Tue 09 Apr 2002, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > There are some earlier messages during the controller init about "CACHE
> > TEST FAILED: DMA error (dstat=0xa0). <3>  CACHE Incorrectly Configured."
> > followed a couple of line later by "CACHE TEST FAILED: script execution
> > failed.  Start 800F9414, pc=800F9414, end 800F9440".  Strange thing is
> > that the source code for this particular driver indicates it hasn't been
> > changed in several years!  It looks like something might be messed up in
>
> Argh, this has just woken up some memories that had been pushed back to
> the back of my mind, although I believe I came across it when upgrading
> to a nice new athlon system... Not sure though, it *might* have been on
> my alpha, or even some sparc somewhere.
> I actually don't think it was on my alpha, as that is still running
> 2.2.19pre7 which I built January 2001 (and nothing's happened in my
> kernel source directory there since then).
>
> > your experiences with getting this kernle to run.  At this point I
> > really don't know if it is something I am doing wrong or if there is
> > something awry in the kernel source code for the XLT.
>
> Hmm, I'm getting pretty curious about this. Perhaps I should sacrifice
> my XLT's uptime for this :-)

OK, I did it :-) (destroying my athlon's uptime while I was at it,
because I screwed up trying to get the monitor out of the Athlon and
into my Alpha, pulling out the keyboard because of cable spaghetti, and
having to reboot it to get my keyboard working again ;-(

Anyway, the good news is that I had no problem whatsoever to boot
2.4.18.  It recognized my 810 without any problem:

ncr53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
ncr53c8xx: IO region 0x9000[0..127] is in use

I have this in my .config:

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=10

Note that I am not booting from that controller, however;
I have a QLogic ISP1020 with a wide SCSI 9GB IBM on it.
I use the NCR for cdrom and tape (and sometimes an external disk).

Nothing about cache problems...
And I have 14MB extra free on my small root filesystem. Probably libs
and such that had been upgraded x times while still in use and such...
Sometimes it *is* useful to reboot.

I first tried compiling a pre19 patch, but that didn't compile properly.
I didn't have time to look into it further, so I took vanilla 2.4.18 and
stripped out a number of things I had selected above the bare
essentials. Maybe soon I'll try again with a pre patch.

Paul Slootman