Re: Still can't boot the installer....

Shannon Menkveld wrote:

Well,  I took everybody's advice, and went out and bought a new floppy drive
and a box of new disks.  I've now made 16 floppy images of root.bin, using
several D/L's of the file, from multiple sources, using both dd in linux and
rawrite2 in DOS.  EVery one give the same error"

crc error<5>VFS Please insert root floppy and press ENTER:

Debian needs TWO floppy disks for booting.
One is called "rescue disk" and the other one "root disk". You need BOTH!

If I insert a new disk and press enter, I get a spew of MS-DOS related
floppy messages, which I can't even begin to figure out, and then a kernel
panic, "unable to mount root filesystem".  If I boot from the Debian CD, I
get the kernel booted and the root filesystem mounted, but then I get
"unable to open initial console" and "no init found, try passing init= to
kernel".  This happens with or without the load_ramdisk=1 option.  After 16
brand-new disks, I don't know what to think.  Should I give up and run NT on
this damned thing? <shudder>.  I actually had a disk that I could boot,
once.  Of course, my CDROM was bad, so I couldn't install.  Is there no end
in sight?

Your cdrom-drive is damaged?

From down here at the end of my rope, I thank you.....
--Shannon