Re: Vanishing Partition Table, was: Re: Milo fails on SX with 18Gb disk

Hello !
On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 05:16:30PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Is this related to Seagate only ? I have a 4.5 GB IBM disk which shows
> > simmilar behaviour: If I have the first partition mounted during boot,
> > the partition table vanishes (but if I put it again in place with
> > fdisk, the data is still there). I haven't tried starting the
> > partition later in the disk though -- simply mounted by hand when
> > needed so far.
>
> I'm only familiar with the problem happening on Seagate drives, although
> I'm sure it's possible on IBM drives as well.  I wish I could find the
> link to the description of the problem, but I just swapped desktop
> machines and am still out of sorts :-)
>
> Try starting the partition at 3 and see if it vaporises then.

Ok, simply running fdisk twice "fixes" the problem, i.e. irregardless
of starting point or format, the following helps:

fdisk (write down settings)
reboot
fdisk (entering the same settings again)

Using this the disk has shown no problems so far. Maybe it simply
deletes the old layout in the first run, keeping the new layout in
memory only and finally writing out the new layout in the second run.

Greetings

             Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de