Re: Alpha newbie install woes

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 03:11:08 -0800
"Shannon Menkveld" <shannon@strangehouse.com> blurted in message
[🔎] 003c01c1dbc9$6bbc5a60$3ded0644@sd.cox.net:

> > It's a horrible boot process, and it's the only machine that does this.
> Oh, well... It's what I have, so I hope I can make it work...
>
> > From Memory (I sold mine). You need to get ldmilo, and a milo.
> > The best way to do this is to get the ruffian.img from an older (6.2)
> redhat
> > release. That should boot milo to the point where you can do work. To
> > make it more fun, it will be a 2.0.something MILO, which can have
> > problems with newer kernels :(.
> What are the problems with MILO and the 2.2 series? Also, would I use
> rawrite <sp?> to create the disk?  What is the process here?

well, IIRC, the 2.0 MILO doesn't support sparse superblocks (which Debian
asks about). And I'm trying to remember if I could boot 2.4 kernels from
it..

> > And, there are two versions of ldmilo.exe, one that says "Jay's hacked
> > version". As far as I recall, that version is better, and behaves itself
> > more correctly.
> The one I have is the "Jay's hacked version" from the Debian install cd,
> it says that the system doies not support Alpha/Linux, I'll try the dec
> one.

strange... sure it's not an RX system? I seem to remember people on one of
the alpha lists playing with an RX and binary editing ldmilo until it
recognised the right machine, and they got that error message for a while.

(I'd only heard of a 600 Mhz UX, so maybe the 633 is something to do with
the problem?)

L.
--
 Liam Bedford | It's just the facts of life