Re: Why not use GCC 3.0?

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Craig Small wrote:

> I'm not sure if it is gcc 3.0 or the kernel but something really really
> sucks with alphas and 2.4 kernels.
>
> Let's see, I've had:
>   - failure to compile or link kernels

This may not have to do with gcc, fyi, especially with link failures.  I'd
have to see the linker error messages before making the determination of
what's at fault, though.

> I'll give 2.4.18 a goo shortly, any suggestions on wether I have more
> success with a gcc 3.0 or not?

I suppose that depends.  I haven't tried 3.0 with a kernel in ages (and
back then, it did not go well).  I've heard mixed results since then, so
it may depend on which drivers are being compiled.