Re: Compiler in "testing"

Just some follow up:

While updating via dselect, my system AGAIN tried to remove the gcc and
gcc-2.95 packages tonight (17 Dec 01).  It didn't do this with a
"apt-get upgrade" command I had just run previously.  The reason for
running dselect was some packages were held back, and I wanted to see
why.

I did some investigating and it appeared to be a conflict between the
"gcc-doc" package and these two packages and my system REALLY wanted to
update the gcc-doc program in the worst way!

I noticed a "task-c-dev" package on my system, which suggested the
gcc-doc package. I removed it (task-c-dev) but the system still wanted
to install the gcc-doc package.  Further investigation revealed the
presence of a "task-devel-common" package, which also suggested the
gcc-doc package.  Both of these were listed in the "obsolete" section of
dselect.  I removed this second "task" package and things reverted to
normal.  Apparently these two "obsolete" packages were somehow
indirectly taking precedence over the gcc and gcc-2.95 packages that I
wanted to keep, even though the "gcc-doc" package was only "suggested".
There seems to be an error in logic here...somewhere.

This raises a question.  What is the correct way to handle these
"obsolete" packges?  Does dselect just list them for reference/info, or
will it actively try to remove them??  I recall one past experience
where I tried to remove them manually and got into some serious
dependency problems.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-