Re: kernels I build just won't boot, what's the trick?

However, taking the 2.2.20 source and the config
file associated with the generic image, changing only the
subarchitecture (?) from generic to lx164, gives a kernel
which just won't boot.  No problems compiling, fortunately,
but MILO just complains that the kernel can't be booted, period.

You need to disable "Use SRM as bootloader." I believe a generic kernel can boot from either SRM or MILO, but machine-specific kernels need this option set properly.

-Doug