Re: kernel v2.4.11 seems to work now for my Alpha machine

I got a response back from Jay Estabrook of Compaq explaining (at least
to my my level of understanding and beyond) why it started working.  In
essence, the Redhat-axp-list newsgroup also showed similar problems.  I
suppose because he read that group more than the Debian-alpha, it got
some attention and was fixed.  However, the debian-alpha newsgroup was
never notified.

Both of my Alphas have been running 2.4.12 ever since it was released
(actually since 2.4.11 which was short-lived).  I hope to try out
reiserfs soon.

I attach his comments.

 From: Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com>
 To: "James D. Freels" <freelsjd@ornl.gov>

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:05:21PM -0400, James D. Freels wrote:

> Recall several instances in the past to this mailing list with regard
> to previous versions of the 2.4.x Linux kernel causing one of my
Alphas
> to lock up (hard).  There have been several explanations offered
> including the de4x5 driver (for DE-500-aa card), tulip driver, scsi
> driver (ncr-53c810), compiler version (gcc vs egcs), etc.  Well, it
> doesn't matter now because it is working.  I did nothing particular
> revolutionary in the configuration (it is a straight oldconfig from
the
> 2.2.19 configuration), but for some reason, it is now working as it
> should.  This has been going on since 2.4.0 release.

Ah, now I remember, you were one of the folks with a PC164 that was
having problems with the latest kernels.

Thanks for the feedback about things now working.

Sorry I didn't get back to you, and some other folks on the Debian list
with the same problem, when I submitted some patches that I was hopeful
had solved the problem.

In case you're interested in what the problem was, and how I tried to
fix it, I've attached my posting on the subject to the axp-list.

Let me know if you have any more problems of the same kind.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX
Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com