IPChains question

Hi,
My linux install has been running solid, now I am back to working with
the little beast and am trying to do a couple ofthings with it.

I am trying to telnet into port 5000/5001, but I seem to be being
blocked. I believe I have disabled ipchains, but I am now not sure.

Is there a good set of documentation on debian ipchains, ipchains,
or how to configure it or disable it? I am searching thru all the
linux docs (focussing on debian).  thanks for any help or poitners.
bob