Postgres on alpha.

[Please Cc: me in replies, I'm not subscribed to -alpha]

Okay folks, I've been scouring the list archives, and have not found
anything conclusive....

Starting PostgreSQL postmaster.
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/postgres/data -l /var/log/postgres.log
postmaster successfully started
Enabling the PL procedural language in all PostgreSQL databases...

postgres jumps to 100% cpu, and well, hangs.

any clues?

the machine in question:

community:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : Alpha
cpu model               : EV4
cpu variation           : 7
cpu revision            : 0
cpu serial number       :
system type             : Sable
system variation        : 0
system revision         : 0
system serial number    :
cycle frequency [Hz]    : 190024424 est.
timer frequency [Hz]    : 1024.00
page size [bytes]       : 8192
phys. address bits      : 34
max. addr. space #      : 63
BogoMIPS                : 376.43
kernel unaligned acc    : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
user unaligned acc      : 0 (pc=0,va=0)
platform string         : AlphaServer 2000 4/200
cpus detected           : 1

Mike.
--
Michael Beattie <mike@ethernal.org>

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams